Fabric update for a pair of parsons chairs. These are such versatile seats and always look great slipcovered. This fabric has a huge repeat but I felt like it needed to have a motif centered on the back and the seat. After playing around with a few options I decided to roughly center the big blue flower on the inside (and outside) back, and also on the seat even though it didn't complete an entire repeat. Then I had the entire design continue down from the seat through the front skirt panel. All the skirt panels are cut from the same horizontal repeat so the designs at the skirt hems are the same all around the chair. That sounds super picky but it does make a difference.
As usual, I pinned one chair on half right side out and used it as a pattern for the second chair. The skirt panels are lined and since this is decorator fabric and won't be washed, I inserted a piece of buckram (used for stiffening drapery headers) between the face fabric and lining at the hem to give it a nice crisp look.
The lovely thing about this space is that it sits quietly and waits its turn. I found myself taking the very easy way out and posting projects on Instagram for the last several years, but honestly the introvert in me finds it to be a little too interactive- all the liking and commenting and then replying... And now with everything boomeranging and music blaring on every post- I do sound awfully old and curmudgeonly! I love Instagram and spend more time than I should on it but maybe it's time to circle back and share some thoughts and pictures here now and then. Let's see how it goes...
To say much has happened since my last post would be a pretty significant understatement. Covid happened (duh), my mother died (in a nursing home at the beginning of covid so, extra horrible), our son and his family moved to the US from Europe, we welcomed twin grandsons, my father's health declined to the point where we had to move him to an Assisted Living facility, and our daughter got married. So, some pretty tough times and more than plenty of really good ones.
For now, here's one of a pair of wing chairs that got a little slipcover refresh. Time and the family cat left them looking tired and scarred. The owner chose a graphic print in a similar color to the original upholstery for the new look. I love working on wing chairs. These turned out especially well. I pin fitted one on half, right side out, and then cut identical pieces for the second one. This is a huge time- and back-saver, and gives perfectly identical covers.