Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Upholstered Ottoman

I'm kind of annoyed with myself for waiting so long to attempt an ottoman with attached cushion top. 

They are one of the most common types of ottoman that come through my door and I would normally have only thought to slipcover the whole thing. Of course, if it needs to be washable this is the best option, but what if you want to use a pretty fabric and don't care about washing? 

This Re-Store beauty was the perfect guinea pig:




What do you think of it now?








Turns out that this is 99% sewing. The only upholstery is removing the old fabric and  stapling the new fabric to the bottom. The pillow top is basically a sofa cushion with a zippered opening which is attached to the base fabric with mitered corners. I didn't say it was beginner sewing, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Matching up the pattern was the most challenging part. I also bought new feet and stained them. 

This is going to be for sale at Salvaged in Lewes DE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment