Friday, October 30, 2015

Lo-Sew Makeover

So I decided to give up my (almost) nightly glass (or two) of wine while I make dinner or watch the news. This has resulted in a surprising amount of residual energy. Much to my husband's delight, I used this energy to tackle a project from the multitude of choices that I have amassed in our garage. 

In my excitement to get started I neglected to take a "before" picture of this french style arm chair that I bought last Spring at the Habitat ReStore. It had a dark brown stained finish and maroon/blue/cream jaquard upholstery. 

The first step was stripping off the old fabric and removing a million staples. Second was  painting the frame. I used AS Chalk Paint. I know you're not supposed to need to sand with this stuff,  but I went over the whole thing with steel wool first, just to make sure it was good and clean. After two coats, I did a little distressing on the edges and raised details and then gave it a wax finish with the AS Clear Wax. Finally, I made double welting and stapled on this most beautiful and perfect blue & cream linen that I found on the remnant table at Hancocks. 





This is my third upholstery project and each time I learn a little something. 
It's not perfect, but it looks pretty darn good. I popped it up for sale on Facebook and sold it right away, which made me miss my wine just a little bit less.

No comments:

Post a Comment